Dumbbell Lying Supination
This is one of the best forearm exercises because it helps you train your strength as well as work your forearms muscles with just a dumbbell. However, stay away from this exercise if you are a beginner in order to prevent injuries.
How to perform this exercise:
- Find a flat bench then start lying on your side on it. Use one arm to hold a dumbbell and place the other arm on the bench. By doing this, you can rest your head on your arm.
- On the arm holding the weight, keep its elbow bent in order to create a 90 degree angle between the forearm and upper arm.
- After that, start to lift your upper arm in order to make your forearm parallel to the ground as well as perpendicular to the torso.
A little tip for you: keep your forearm directly in front of you. At this point, your upper arm is stationary by the torso and parallel to the ground as well as aligned with the torso. This is your starting position.
- While you are trying to maintain a 90 degree angle between your forearm and upper arm, start to rotate the forearm in order to lift the dumbbell in a semicircle motion as you exhale. Keep rotating your forearm until it is perpendicular to the ground and your torso is pointing towards the sky. After that, hold the contracted position for a moment.
- Then get back to the initial position while breathing in.
- Keep following these steps until you have finished all the recommended reps then switch to the opposite arm.
Caution: It is not necessary to use heavy weight while performing this exercise as it will lead to rotator cuff injury.
Variations: This exercise can also be performed while standing and with cables.